Friday 17 April 2009

Altered Skirt

DB's gran bought a skirt for the upcoming wedding, but it was ballooning around the hips, nervously I proclaimed that I could alter it for her...

It actually went relatively smoothly... here are the steps:
Ignore the lining for small alterations, alter the lining for larger alterations.
Unpick a small amount of the hem (enough to sew the new seam). Those pins are marking the amount to take the skirt in by.
I used my new 48hr disappearing marker pen to give a guide and pinned along the new seam line. I was only a *tiny* bit worried this wouldn't disappear...
Sew the new seam making sure the layer behind is behaving itself - especially near the top of the skirt.
Unpick the old seam
Take care near the top to ensure you don't unpick the new seam you just sewed!
Make lots of new bobbins for the overlocking - don't scrimp on the amount wound onto bobbins, especially if like me there is a constant battle between the overlocker and the operator.
Serge some new edges so theres not lots of excess fabric around the new seams of the altered skirt.
Steam the new seam flat.
Look... the disappearing pen is already fading, and is hidden behind the seam allowance anyway :)
Hand sew the hem again at the sides, I used a simple slip stitch taking care to pic just a few threads of the front showing fabric.
Voila, hopefully it will fit much nicer now :)

1 comment:

Dawn T. said...

I love the disappearing markers.:) The skirt looks great!